Director of Summit Athletics

Director of Summit Athletics
Pursuing Excellence in Sports and Character (click on image for website)

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Workouts

So I've been working out hard in Indy.  It's been really good.  Workouts have been tough.  My lunch yesterday was baked cod, lima beans, and baby spinach salad.  I thought that was questionable at best, but then I got dressing....I think it was dressing.  I smelled it and it was quite pungent.  It stung the nostrils.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be though.  It made the baby spinach salad taste better than eating plain leaves off a tree because that's what it looked like.  The planned meals are really good and have been helping, but sometimes things just don't taste that good.  After both of my workouts, I get snacks that total at least 700 calories.   There is a window of 30-60 minutes after the workout that your cells are more open to receiving recovery nutrition and it is a very important part of getting the most out of the workout.  700 Calories may sound like a lot, but I did a bodpod test and they figured out that I burn 2500 calories a day.  This is by doing absolutely nothing, just because of my metabolism being that high.   

All of my working out really hard and I'm still not sure what the future entails for me.  I am working out and trying to play well in front of the right people.  I have learned a lot from books in college, but probably the two most valuable lessons came from a combination of on and off the court.  I learned that there are many things in life you can't control - don't worry about it.  There are two things you can control - your attitude and how hard you work.  These are the two most important things, not only in basketball, but in the classroom and I find myself reminding myself of the same thing everyday in my relationship with Hope as well.  There are many situations and circumstances that aren't possible to control, but those two things can make your life better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment