Director of Summit Athletics

Director of Summit Athletics
Pursuing Excellence in Sports and Character (click on image for website)

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Training

So I've been working out for the last two weeks in Indianapolis.  I am training with Champions Academy for basketball and St. Vincent's Sports Performance Center for everything else.  I have a dietician that has me on a strict eating schedule.  She has breakfast, lunch, and dinner planned out for me as well of my post workout snacks.  I did a bod pod test to find out my weight and my metabolism.  I found out that if I do absolutely nothing all day I burn 2500 Calories, so based on that and the calories I burn during my workouts as well as everyday living, my diet is at about 5500 calories a day.  I'll give you an idea of a typical day for me.  I wake up about 8:45 or 9 and go get breakfast.  Then I drive to Trader's Point Christian Church to work out with Coach Ed Schilling and Champions Academy (championsacademy.org).  We start out with 2 ball dribbling for a warm up.  To watch what this looks like check out Mike Conley's dribbling on youtube.  It is from Coach Schilling's warmup.  Then we do what is called the chill drill.  There are not words to describe the chill drill.  There is nothing chill about it.  It is tough.   From there it differs from day to day, but Coach Schilling is very good at what he does.  He used to work out guys for the New Jersey Nets and I heard that he worked out Kobe Bryant and Vince Carter when they were coming into the draft.  We do most of what the NBA teams do in the pre draft workouts.  Workouts usually last atleast 2 hours, sometimes more.  I get my post workout snack and then head back to the hotel for lunch.  After lunch I go to the room for about 10 minutes just to sit down and then I drive over to my workout at St. Vincent's.  St. Vincent's workouts go from about 2:30 - 4 and then we get our post workout nutrition.  I have to get 600 calories in after my workout.  There is a 30-60 minute glycogen window after workouts where your energy can be replenished and recovered more efficiently, so that's why we get the stuff after workouts.  A typical post-nutrition workout supply for me would include a myoplex drink (you're welcome Brady Quinn), string cheese, a myoplex bar (Now I'm done), and a Kashi TLC bar.  And then I go back to the hotel, take a shower, and relax for a bit before dinner at about 6 or so.  After dinner is when I go to Panera for a little free WiFi action.  Then I go back and have to eat 2nd dinner of atleast 700 calories.  Then I'm usually in bed by about 11 and I do it all over again.  It's been really good and workouts have been great.  

On another note I am going to Andrew Johnson's wedding this weekend and am very excited to be able to celebrate this with him, but I am mostly excited to see Hope because I haven't seen her since Sunday and it will be a lot of fun to show off our dance moves on Saturday - better watch out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment